Phoenix is only a few hours away from one of the world’s seven natural wonders, The Grand Canyon. As one of the state’s most-visited attractions, Arizona offers several options for easy transportation to the amazing national park.
In the spirit of easy accessibility, we offer several helpful resources that contain tips for traveling from Phoenix to nearby attractions.
Check out the following useful tips for traveling to The Grand Canyon.
How far is the Grand Canyon from Phoenix?
The Grand Canyon is massive, so it is separated geographically into two areas: the South Rim and the North Rim. The South Rim is nearest to our Phoenix Heers Management properties, about 230 miles away when traveling north on I-17 through Flagstaff.
What routes can you take when driving?
- Route 1: Get onto the I-17 North by going east on any major road from your West Valley apartment complex. Take the I-17 all the way to Flagstaff. From there, take the U.S. 180 northwest to the Grand Canyon. This is the most direct option.
- Route 2: Consider this route in the summer when roads become crowded. This seemingly longer path may save you time in the long run. Still take I-17 out of Phoenix, but pass Flagstaff. Then take U.S. 89 to Cameron Trading Post. Turn left from there, and take Arizona 64 over to Tusayan.
- Route 3: This is the scenic route option through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Using I-17 out of Phoenix, exit 179 to travel through the beautiful red rocks of Sedona. From here, you will take Arizona 89A up to Flagstaff. From Flagstaff, take I-40 east, then Arizona 64 north, which eventually merges with U.S. 180.
No matter which route you take, you will experience a wondrous transition from hot desert landscapes to cool pine tree forests.
Which public transportation options are available?
- Airplane: You can opt for a one-hour flight.
- Railroads: You will need to travel to Flagstaff to ride, but you have two options: Amtrak (the National Railroad Passenger Corporation) or Grand Canyon Railway.
- Shuttles: There are various companies that offer round-trip shuttles from Phoenix, Sedona, and Flagstaff, including Arizona Shuttle, Grand Canyon Shuttle Service, Trans-Canyon Shuttle, Flagstaff Express Shuttle Services, and Flagstaff Shuttle and Charter.
Feel free to contact us at any time with questions we didn’t cover. We are happy to point you in the right direction!